Supporting Gay Pride

I have never been to " Gay Pride" before. And let me tell you, it's fucking wonderful.

I love the kind of days that make you feel so much friggin emotion that you become overwhelmed. I mean, i'm sure the vodka played a part, but it happens without.

Jake, Ellie and I set off in the afternoon. After 20 minutes of riding up and down in the lift, forgetting stuff, going back, taking lift selfies, we finally made it on the tube, albeit separately thanks to Jakes enthusiasm.
I was wearing the strongest outfit. See through black top, bright robot dinosaur VS unicorn leggings, 2 buns, red boots and rainbow eye shadow. Luckily for me, i was promised i would feel under dressed as soon as I got to central and that became true thankfully.

We turned up to Trafalgar square, got some sandwiches and an iced coffee and set out to find out where the parade was heading... Not before seeing Lee Ryan from Blue in Cafe Nero. Mental.
Thought about asking him for a pride selfie but I hadn't got enough booze in my system for the boldness.
Bloody love Blue.

4 cans of Marks and Spencers vodka and cranberry, and a Mcdonalds wee later, we finally saw it coming. Explosions upon explosions of glitter in the air as a giant bus came our way. The electricity in the air was awesome.
There was every kind of person you could imagine.

My favourites were the elderly bus, a fetish group, and a gay parents group. There were old people all together and some dressed in leather, there were people holding other people by chains and there were gay families carrying their kids which literally melted my heart.
I have been so warmed by all the pictures of couples getting married around the USA, particularly old men in their 80's who have been together 50 years. I mean, come on. Amazing they can finally have what they should have been entitled to all along.
There were also some amazing support groups, dance and choir groups, and there was even a full blown band on a float. Mad Max style.

I was stood next to two gay guys and one was questioning the other, asking him why he hasn't told his dad yet. He explained "I don't have a boyfriend yet, when i love someone, i will tell him" And the other dude said " Why?" and he said " My dad said that gays were diseased scum of the earth and it's not worth the confrontation"
This bought me down from my high pretty sharpish.
All of a sudden I remembered. This isn't just some giant party through the streets of London, we are celebrating love, love between all sexual orientations.

I remember the first time my dad poked into my sexual orientation. We were going off to a wedding, I was 13 and he said to me " Are we going for dudes or chicks tonight then?". Whilst i was putting on my makeup in the mirror downstairs in the hallway, I replied " Whatever happens" and he smiled and that was it.
To this day, I'm still "whatever happens". I fall in love with people, male or female.
It brought me pain to think of what everyone goes through in their life without accepting families. If i ever brought home a woman i had fallen in love with, my family would just say "Right oh then!" And for that i am really lucky.

The entire day opened my eyes to what society deems is "unacceptable" or "not normal" and that is rubbed off down on generations after generations. I feel happier to be breaking down barriers in myself and becoming less ignorant.
The whole day was consistent of love, support and acceptance and that is my kind of day.

I'm struggling to sleep because of the uproar on Facebook about the striped profile pictures, this sounds ridiculous but bare with me.
To steer away from my day for a moment but still stay on topic, i have literally been infuriated by what i have seen, from "Why is everyone turning gay?", "I don't support being gay, and i even have gay friends", "You don't see straight people having pride" and "This is my opinion, we have freedom of speech"
I don't even know where to begin and end on this but what I will say is, it is a sad, sad world that having rights as a gay man or woman even has to be celebrated as a victory.
To say you don't support being gay makes you someone i can't be friends with, or respect.
The reason so many straight people show support for gay marriage rights is because all people should be allowed to marry whom ever they want to, regardless of sex. The reason "straight pride" doesn't exist is because straight people have never been persecuted or denied to be with who they love a) without stigma and b) with marriage. Straight couples have never been denied a child to love.
Even when things don't directly affect you, it doesn't mean you don't support them.
Everyone has freedom of speech... absolutely correct. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but just remember, someone who is racist has freedom of speech, 'Scientologists' have freedom of speech and so does Katie Hopkins... it doesn't mean your speech isn't complete bullshit.

#lovewins


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you feel like sh*t.

When in Rome

I can't cook #2 - Herby tomato and cheddar pasta bake.