30 Day Writing Challenge #1 5 problems with social media...

So it's 12.10am, I'm eating cold cheese on toast on the left side of my mouth.
After a 3 day trip back to my home town, to have my tooth taken out (which is whole other disturbing story), James got back from work only to be a poorly pants too and fall straight asleep.

I've spent about 3 hours thinking about Christmas presents, searching ideas and trying to get my brain into gear but of course, it's the unwritten rule that past 12am all of a sudden Pandoras brain box opens and it's all "Why didn't you do this in the past?" "Why did you do this?" "Why haven't you moved to a cottage yet?" "Are you a bad person?" And then you miss your dad and when you were like 14 and the only worry you had was sneaking Strongbow because 2 cans we're all you needed.
Well, they weren't the only worries at all really but you know what i mean.

I am sitting here thinking about how right now i am struggling to write much on what I've been up to when I've "left my bed". I'm still doing things and I have 2 cool recipes to put up, but unfortunately for me, I am doing "adult" things and having to prioritise my health over everything right now which is somewhat poor to deteriorating. This has also contributed to sucking the fun out of pretty much anything ever, including writing.

SO! On that note, I decided to do a writing 30 day challenge I found of things that I wouldn't necessarily write about to give my brain a break.

Today's challenge is 5 problems with social media

I think this is almost definitely something I would write about anyway and have already started a post just called "Instagram". But its nice to have a bit of structure.

My number 1 would be - People spend more time thinking about what looks good on social media than what they are actually enjoying. I have genuinely been a culprit of this in my life as have almost everyone and that makes me sad.
There is nothing wrong with capturing moments and it's something I love doing but it's kind of like you are living for everyone else if it's a priority for social media platforms. I think social media put's that pressure on people even though its part of such a bigger, deep routed problem.

Number 2
I always thought I was weird for this until James told me "my indifference was hot". Thanks bae. I really don't mind what other people are up to in their life unless I love them, i.e friends, family, you know?
What makes me sad is that social media is designed to make you feel like you're not doing enough, like your life isn't good enough, and that you have to follow a trend to fit in and be accepted. That's so uncool. I now know there are 38728 different ways to photograph legs with a coffee and a chunky scarf. Or nail varnish and hands. I'm going to go back to not doing those things.

Number 3
It gives people a platform to share things that aren't true because they just believe everything on the internet.
No, there are not tarantulas the size of a house. No, Tesco isn't giving away 9427 pounds worth of free vouchers, cannabis isn't proven to cure cancer and no, immigrants are not stealing all of our jobs.

Number 4 It's all edited. Including people faces, bodies, lives. Nothing is "real". That bothers me, so being real and truthful is something I try and adhere too.
I don't want people to think their lives are shit whilst they are looking at social media, I want them to think - oh cool they are a normal person and they've gone and done this so I can!

Number 5
Whilst I was walking home today, I honestly thought, why do so many people take so many pictures of themselves? like, why would you want to look back on just yourself? And if you think about it, anyone else who is doing the same thing isn't even looking at you, they are looking at themselves. Weird.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you feel like sh*t.

When in Rome

I can't cook #2 - Herby tomato and cheddar pasta bake.