Picked your own veg and then made a soup!

I wanted to surprise my master chef with a trip out. I picked Hewits farm which is well known for their pick your own fruit and veg!* 

*according to google.

It was a mini mission to get there. After a train to Kent, we had to cross over about 56 roundabouts and walk on the roads just to get there. That's how you can tell you're not really in London anymore. That and there wasn't a Starbucks to be seen.

There wasn't much on offer as the seasons are just switching over, but it was really fun and i imagine it would be 10x better in summer!
I literally haven't been since I was a kid so this was such a treat.

We got cabbage, beans, swiss chards, potatoes, broccoli and shallots.








With some of the veg we collected, i made this soul warming soup, whilst James took pictures of me trying.


3/ 4 rashers of bacon
1/4 of cabbage
1/2 brocolli
5 small potatoes, scrubbed
half a shalott
a clove of garlic
stock cube

chop everything!

- I added in a can of chick peas but they taste gross "raw", so unless you're a mega fan then, no. Just, no.


Method

First i added garlic into the frying pan, you can use a bit of oil but i just used non-stick.
And then i threw in the onions and waited until they started to soften.

During this time, i sliced the bacon and boiled the kettle to make the stock.
i.e water on stock cube

In a seperate pan, i put the potatoes in boiling water for them to start going for it because they take the longest.

I added the bacon to the frying pan and then smooshed it all around.

Add the rest of the veg in with the potatoes after about 10 mins or so and then pour in the stock
and the bacon etc.

Leave to boil and reduce.
Salt and pepper to taste :)

Tasted like autumn in a bowl and is now a staple quick tea!

I was sad because I didn't put the beans in at the right time so "i wasn't allowed them", i.e they wouldn't have been cooked and it would have sucked.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you feel like sh*t.

When in Rome

I can't cook #2 - Herby tomato and cheddar pasta bake.