Internship interview in Islington

After trawling the internet for something to replace my redundancy in the up coming week and if luck would have it, something I am interested in, I came across an unpaid internship for the website www.thearcadiaonline.com as a writer.
The description said the main topics would be about culture, food, style and adventure.... uh yes please.
Now I know people know me as such an on point fashion guru but what excited me the most were all of the other categories.  Literally all right up my street and what I love to blog about now.
I did a simple covering letter, no frills, just explaining how i'd love to be considered for the role, how I have my own blog as something I really enjoy doing and how much I would love the experience.
I didn't have high hopes as i've never done anything professional and I don't have a journalism, creative writing degree or the like but hey, if you don't ask then the answer with definitely be no.
In no less than 2 days, I had a reply from Monicha asking me to come in for an interview on Friday. 
I couldn't believe it.
Of course I emailed back immediately and set a time with her. I was excited... and then nervous.
I've never really applied to something i've genuinely wanted before as a job. The closer the days got, the more I thought, shit man, it's almost here.
I was trying to find something alright to wear that wasn't dinosaur based and make sure I had all my stuff together when I found my "London beach" stone, the stone I picked up when I was walking along the river, trying to find my passion in London.
Fate, coincidence, badly cleaned out handbag, whatever you want to call it, I put it in my pocket for luck.

I got the nervous tummy somersaults and tried to settle it with a posh coffee and some 60's music on the overground. I could totes do this.
After getting on the right train with the wrong terminating point and 2 changes (I'm sure i'll master London eventually? ) I made it to Islington.
There was a bloke sat in a van right outside the tube station who may of gleamed slight entertainment watching me wonder back and forth up the same road, staring hard into my phone, hoping GPS would actually do as it was told. It didn't.
I managed to wonder up the right street and found a post lady, whom I greeted with "Hello miss post lady" (unsure if she dug it) and asked her if she knew where the frick I was going.
It was just around the corner. Bingo.

After a bit more faffing, I finally found where I was suppose to be and had a little sit down.
When the time came, I was greeted at the door by Monicha who told me to go straight up. I walked into the kind of apartment you see on films. Minimalist. White walls. Beautiful mirror and light shades. Everything matched and the splash of colour I caught my eye on were all the books next to a little neat kitchen. 
She also had a table with vogue magazines inside it which was pretty cool.
I sat down, and took off my coat. I had sweat patches up to my eyes and tried to relax.
Monicha was lovely. Open, honest and warm. She's been in the industry for a while, writing for the Daily Mail and now has started up her own company. We bonded over our lack of fashion knowledge. She loves black clothes and tea, which she barely gets to drink.
We had a great chat. After having a good browse through the website all week it was nice to know some of the writers she was actually talking about. The entire internship sounded amazing. People were getting to experience new things and write about what they love.
I definitely started to relax and get over excited as I said mate about 10 times and possibly "innit" more than once. Strong first impression.
We were talking for 40 minutes which I couldn't believe. She told me one of the writers and her partner had reviewed a dinner at The Shard. Another writer was reviewing a weekend away in Scotland. .. it was like this magical job land I only marginally knew existed.
Our time was up and she had the next interviewee at the door. She told me to go away and have a think about it and email her in the evening, but I think we both knew I was fully keen. I could feel the sparkle in my eyes.

The weekend went flipping slow, After leaving with a brain bursting with ideas and excitement, and repeating "the interview" story several times when I got back to friends and family, I had to wait until Monday to find out.

Today it's Sunday, AND I GOT IT!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you feel like sh*t.

When in Rome

I can't cook #2 - Herby tomato and cheddar pasta bake.