Canada Water Cafe

Canada water café is a little hidden gem, in the most unlikely place next to the tube station. It’s so easy to miss, yet there are so many reasons why you shouldn't! Me and my friends had walked past it a few times and finally had a peak inside. I knew instantly that i wanted to review this place.
From the outside, it just looks like a normal day to day café but on the inside, it goes more than the extra mile.

We went to their late night pizzeria. We arrive at 8.30 and to my surprise it was buzzing. All the tables were full, the atmosphere was chilled and candles set the mood. I was really surprised how many people were here. We were seated immediately and then presented with some water and some menus.

I picked the “Insalata comprese” which is Basil, Tomato and Mozzarella. Rosie had the same and Holly opted for the bruschetta.
The chefs themselves brought them out, on lovely wooden boards, which was pretty cool. We were all just staring at each other like "What have we done to deserve this?!"
I thought mine was freaking top notch. Big thick chunks of fresh mozzarella sandwiched in between big tomato slices sprinkled with basil. And we all had to try a bit of Holly’s bruschetta too.

Then our main’s came. Our pizzas.
Canada water café use a mixture of flours to create their dough and follow a traditional Neapolitan fermentation of 24 to 48 hours.  The dough is an 80 year old sourdough for digestibility, flavour and taste.
The pizza’s were delicious. No skimping on size. The base was lightly salted and crispy, but not stodgy. The toppings were fresh and plentiful and all of us tried each other’s.
I opted for the “La Paesana” which was Italian sausage, wild broccoli, smoked cheese and mozzarella.
Rosie and Holly opted for pizzas with parma ham and various cheeses.
We all tried a paired wine with our pizzas and then our brilliant waiter recommended his favourite white, which went down a treat with all of us as we just switched to that for the rest of dinner!

I literally had to stop half way through. The starters are a really decent size and the pizzas are no different. They took the remains away swiftly and boxed them up for us which was lovely. And all while tempting us to desert… I wasn't sure I could manage it. But our waiter had recommended the cheesecake. Our arms were twisted.

We all decided that having a different desert and cocktail each for us all to share was the only way forward.

I picked a nutella and marscarpone calzone. A weakness of mine, and an espresso martini. Rosie had the cheesecake as recommended with a limoncello and holly went for the tiramisu with a strawberry and basil fizz cocktail.
As much as my calzone was a hit and you cant go wrong with chocolate, I was so impressed by the other two. Personally i don't like tiramisu, well I didn't, until I tried this one. It was the best one i had ever tasted (which was a common theme throughout the evening) And the cheese cake you could taste was made with real fresh cheese.

The cocktails were immaculate too. I could seriously switch my morning coffee for one of the espresso martinis....

We were at the point of top button of jeans coming undone, and then Holly said we just had to get the hot chocolate to end it on. She said it was the best one she had ever had and hasn't had a better one since. I  was too full to commit to another beverage, alcohol or otherwise so they got some and offered me to try it. She wasn't joking. It was the best hot chocolate I had ever tried too. I would go there soley for that liquid wonder.
After completing pretty much the entire amazing menu we went home for a much needed rest (as i sure hope the chefs and waiters did too!)

Thankyou so much Canada Water Cafe for having us!

https://www.facebook.com/canadawatercafe

40 Surrey Quays road,
London

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you feel like sh*t.

When in Rome

I can't cook #2 - Herby tomato and cheddar pasta bake.