Brighton

My other half had surprised me whilst I was on holiday in Cornwall, with a one day and night trip to Brighton. Double beach time? I was ecstatic.

I met James from work at London bridge where we got our tickets to head to the seaside and settled down on a one hour train, in which we both ate leftover pizza and napped through. Which in my opinion is already a good start.

During our journey on the train, James muttered "shit" under his breath, which is just what you want to hear on the way to your holidays. He had booked the hotel for the day after, and not the day we were actually in. Shit. I laughed at him because you know, men innit, and then we went in search of our hotel to see if we could rectify it.
Brighton is very steep.
Our hotel was mostly up a hill to the beach front which was too windy to get even close to.

It's a lovely little pub with rooms above it and we were immediately welcomed by the owners. They didnt have a room for that night so they were kind enough to call up another hotel they know the owner of and find us a room for the night.  Very grateful, we parted ways and made our way to our hotel for the evening.

We settled into the guest house after being showed around and was very excited to learn we had fresh baked croissants for the morning. EEEK! I never eat pastries in real life, but for some reason as soon as im on holiday, im all about dat buttered flake. We decided to go and find some dinner, and naturally being by the seaside we found a chip shop restaurant, which i didn't even know was a thing. It was banging. I had fresh battered fish cakes and chips, Jammy had a whole cod, real curry sauce and a posh bottle of white to share.

The next morning, we went down for our fresh homemade breakfast at a time i no longer wanted to wake up at and then ventured out. Oh my balls it was windy, and rainy. James was hoodless and the fact i had one was the only saving grace for me against whatever British summer weather this was on the bloody 2nd of JUNE... JUNE COME ON.

We thought about the beach but it was almost impossible to walk towards it.
It in no way dampened our spirits as we headed to the lanes, which I have never been to before. We wondered around a good long while. I had a stare at all the old second hand jewellery shops with amazing pieces and had to steer James away from buying his 32872th pair of Dr Martins.
We decided our legs, arms, faces were more damp than they needed to be so we searched in somewhere warm, dry and offering tea. We eventually found this independent restaurant Bohemia which was amazing. It was super old school/ vintage. They had sticks to put your newspapers in which i didn't know existed. I felt like I should have been wearing a flipping top hat. Well good.
I didn't have breakfast because you know, i'd literally just had some but I didn't have the heart to tell the waiter I had already eaten and that I wasn't on a sole coffee diet that makes me look like a half assed chubby Kate moss. James however had eggs benedict which looked top whilst I slurped down on my latte.

The weather eased off so we decided to go and have a wander down to the pier. It was still extremely windy which made the waves look so awesome. I took about 4 videos to show my family how good it would have been to body board in, kind of, if you ignore the impending doom.

We got onto the pier and into the arcade and i was in full excitement mode (Something i didn't think i would say about myself in a sentence with 'arcade') With my little rucksack on my back, i was searching for house of the dead or my new recent favourite what i like to call " the clown game", inventive I know. Its so much fun. Literally i can't even. I think Naomi and I managed to spend at least 20 quid on there in Cornwall and I had a feeling Brighton would be no different. You hit the clown with balls until they fall over and come back up again. It sounds shit but I cant even explain how addictive it is.

We found an air hockey game to ease us in, which was hilarious because loads of tiny pucks came out of the side including the giant one you were suppose to focus on. I won, much to a dent in Jammy's man pride. I think i'm getting good at games where you get to hit stuff. For me, the sole purpose is just to hit as hard as you can and hope for the best and most of the time it works. Who needs tact!?

I FOUND CLOWN GAME! Which i ran towards furiously. James looked very skeptical but soon settled in. He gave me a pound (thanks Jammy) and i put all my mite into it. James turned to me and was like "Literally how do you have that many points". Hahahaha. I had had some practice. I would so buy one for my living room.
After about 10 games of that, I had streams of tickets all bunched up in my hands and we went to the office to retrieve our ticket goods.
We picked an inflatable dinosaur, some play clay, a pack of cards, a pencil and a Brighton lighter. Literally the finest collection you have ever seen.

We then visited the Brighton and Hove museum which was amazing. We started off with a cream tea on the balcony, overlooking the museum and fresh out of the oven scones, literally nailing it. We then had a look at some really bizarre art, obviously and then wandered into the Natural wildlife photography exhibition which was banging. There was a little bit of information with each picture and the photos were beautiful.  I forgot that pond skaters existed and i don't think I knew that man o' war cant actually swim and they just float everywhere. OMG and huntsman spiders can be found in Spain. Uncool. I also saw a stuffed puffa fish and a file fish (they look totally dope). I think my favourite picture was a sea full of rays but it's not hard to guess why. Plus I love the sea.
We started to make our way to check into our next hotel after having some chips walking along the beach and up and on the bandstand. (I consumed a lot of chips)
We stopped off in an old second hand book shop which was well good. Smelt like books so naturally i had a female erection. It had a crickity spiral staircase down stairs where more books spilled out of the shelves which covered all sides of the room. James found some arty section and I went to look at the old cookery books, that was until James found the section i know and love. No guys, not erotic fiction, psychology.  He got me a book and 2 for himself and then we finally made it back.

Our second hotel was awesome! They were lovely and welcoming and James got chatting to one of the owners who gave him her card to book directly next time.
The breakfast was already in our room for breakfast in bed, with a cute table and chairs by the window to eat at. The shower was lush and the bed was even lusher.
James had to sort his tapped out, naturally, so I used this moment to put all my fun pictures of the day on the i left my bed instagram obv and then we ventured off again to find dinner.

I promptly got smacked in the eye with a lorry tassel after crossing the road behind one just because it was so windy. I almost definitely felt like a small child cradling my eye whilst James hugged me and cooed at me like he was looking after an injured chick. I felt very sorry for myself and a lump came up on my eyebrow. It was only an hour ago my heel came off my shoe! But still, i was full of sea air energy. We decided we were now more "thirsty" than hungry and I needed a vodka to counteract the eye assault. So we stopped off in a rustic pub with a bit of a water theme which was really nice. At this point, James announced he had reconsidered living in Brighton... I'm going to assume that's totally just because i'm here.
Were already planning our next trip to stay where we are for a few days, including a night out.

We ate at Bella Italia, which I've never eaten at before. We had anti pasto for starters which is actually my favourite since dating James, including getting into black olives which I never thought would happen. And James picked a bottle of wine, which I always like listening to him pronounce. I love it when people need to say something in a different language. They are so confident until they get to the word they need to pronounce correctly and they just sort of mutter it quietly. YES I WILL HAVE THE Pollo Limone Siciliana PLEASE! Hahahaha, you know what i mean.
 I just pointed to all of mine to save the embarrassment. Nailed it. I had chicken pasta with lemon and tarragon sauce and James had a pizza with a shit ton of meat on it, no change there then.

We had some cocktails as pudding, but by then I was feeling a little wobbly in my chair so we decided to head back to our hotel where we had one more drink. James doubled mine up - not cool (kinda cool) and i managed to open the door onto a man's arm who then made friends with us for a little while. I was super sad to leave but we know where were staying when we are back.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you feel like sh*t.

When in Rome

I can't cook #2 - Herby tomato and cheddar pasta bake.