Stop or stay. Gotta love a life choice.

More than one person in my life is going through the midlife crisis of finishing something. It doesn't seem to matter what it is, as long as they do it.

I guess it definitely depends if you are a journey person, or a destination person...

My logic is and has always been, is if something isn't making you happy, don't bother. Its obviously not as black as white as that and everyone has up and down days. But seriously.

People bust their ass for promotions, climbing the corporate ladder and the like, for what? If they hate their job, why are they doing it?
Some people are into discipline, routine. Some people have satisfaction in not giving up and seeing things through, but is that really helping or harming them?

Depending on how you see it, it could be either.
For me, i have never gone further than a sales assistant in a job. I've been given more responsibility than a sales assistant usually would but as far as title goes, nada.

I've never been interested in being a manager at a retail store, in fact i don't think id be very good at it at all. I know that if its something i care about, i would give it my all, 100% and working in a shop has only ever been to fund happiness outside of it. Sure i love the people i worked with, but they were the people, not the job.

I'm not saying wake up everyday and love your life or change it. That's crazy talk, especially if you're bat shit crazy like me. But unless the pro's outweigh the cons, what do you have to lose?

I always tell myself i only have one life. I know whats important to me and i know my values. I think everyone has the same core values deep down which are people.
On your death bed, you wont wish you had worked harder, you wont be clutching your degree, you wont be saying goodbye to your career and how happy you stuck with it. You will saying bye to the people you love, and thinking about all of the happy moments with them.

A quote i love is - If relationships matter the most then, why shouldn't they matter now? - Max Lucado

If anyone is umming and arghing about what they are doing with their job, career or uni, just ask yourself, are you happy? Will you gain something from it that will make you happy? Do the pro's outweigh the cons?

I've stop beating myself up so much now about not having done much with my life so far in terms of whats on paper. Sometimes even emotionally. What i do have is a back catalogue of happy memories with my family and friends whilst they are still alive and well. I've been accepted into London uni because i've taken this time to decide what would be best for my future and how it could help me in the present too, rather than jumping on an education conveyor belt which would now, have left me with a degree in music and little to show for it.
I moved when i was ready, and in some ways emotionally forced to do so and now i have learnt so much than i ever have in my life. I think for myself. I do things even though they terrify me and as much as i don't have a degree already or a well paid job, i have life knowledge.

It seems that some people think that education is intelligence. It's not. How many times have you used Pythagoras theorem since you left school? How many times have you had to mend a broken heart and learn from the past? How many times have you used your degree to get into a job you would never change your mind on? How many times have you pushed past your anxiety and done something that truly made you feel elevated because you didn't think you could?

I cant do maths, i don't know much about history even though i enjoy it and i'm pretty shit with a map. But i have emotional intelligence, and whats the world without emotion? I can change learning about the holocaust and finding out that were North here to London. But i have had so much time in myself without chasing what society tells us is "the way of life" to find out more about who i am, and what i'm capable of. And all my choices led to this.

The journey, in my opinion, is just as important as the destination, because to be honest, we will never know what our destination is or what will happen no matter how many plans we have in place, all we have is the now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you feel like sh*t.

When in Rome

I can't cook #2 - Herby tomato and cheddar pasta bake.