Rosie and Harry's Wedding in Cornwall.

I am writing this listening to "May you never" as i think it will set the tone for this piece.
I was lucky enough to be invited to 2 of my good friends wedding in my favourite place, Cornwall!
Not only did i get to see my friends from Truro but i also got to see 2 of them get married to each other, which doesn't happen every day!
Rosie picked me up from the train station, along with Phil who was on the same train as me, but we didn't know each other. I met Rosie's sister who's from Ireland, and we all went on a Sainsbury's trip which was a hilarious start to the weekend. Why hilarious? One word, Phil. Rosie had somehow given him the impression that we will be without nothing to eat for a long period of time and so his "go-to" was a fruit bowl. His fight or flight response was bananas, orange and apples. I asked him why he thought that was going to keep him going, and his response was that "He doesn't really eat enough fruit". Well now is a good of a time as any Phil! Ha!
We got some lunch and headed for Coverack YHA that Harry and Rosie had hired out for all their loved ones, for the big day. It is a beautiful spot. Almost every single bedroom has a sea view and it is quiet, secluded and miles away from civilisation. This may sound like the beginning of a serial killer horror story but everyone's limbs remained in tact.
There was no signal or wifi, which Lawrence and i immediately freaked out about. How else was i going to plan my wedding drunk to James over the phone? There was a little pay phone to the rescue which sat in the corner of the main hall. I think i fed it at least a fiver whilst i was there. In so many ways, it was really great to digitally detox and just enjoy what was happening in the moment.
I was lucky enough to catch Rosie going to settle into the B&B, for later on in the evening. So we went down and were greeted by a lady called Bridget who owns "The Boak house" which looks like a boat, not a boak? She was lovely. So hospitable. We were taken to Rosie's room and it looked ace. She had put out roses and champagne for the morning and asked us if we would like to join her for a drink in the conservatory. She came in with a red for me, a white for Rosie, pretzels and nuts on a tray decorated with shells. The view was just sea stretched for miles. Sea, wine and friends. I was in heaven. Plus Rosie also got me wifi so i could tell James i loved him. Weddings make me so lame.
We met Bert, who was an elderly gentleman from Scotland and then Claud came in with Rachel and introduced themselves.
That evening, we all chilled at the pub and got to each other. I got to catch up with Lawrence which was great and hung out with Harry for a bit. I was put in the Dunvegan room with all my friends which i was super happy about. Girl ratio was well out as it was me to 3 noisy boys but i got to be essentially a part of Harry's 'night before wedding night'. This included him getting into my bed (on top of the covers, almost a married man innit) and giving me a cuddle, then almost tipping over the entire bunk bed getting into it.
The wedding day was here. Everyone was up super early. Harry and a few of his friends and family went for a swim and I just watched because i had fake tan and hair done ready - super organised. Lawrence, the best man, was still writing his speech with an hour to go and didn't know there was a separate box for the rings. I tried to do his tie and all i could do was do it back to front, it was a nice chaotic morning. I visited Rosie and she was equally as stressed. They were all putting on their makeup around the time they should have been leaving.. why change a habit of a life time? *giggles*
We watched Rosie come out and into her VW van and she looked gorgeous.
Whilst the wedding was taking place, i had accidentally appointed myself organiser of hostel. I had helped with food prep, laying the table, making cocktails and greeting guests. Rosie had said someone thought i was a wedding planner which i am going to take a compliment. Really i was just on my 3rd glass of wine.
I went upstairs and got ready, only to find that lady time had arrived. Perfect timing as always, and i was in the middle of nowhere. I came downstairs and Claud had noticed i was looking a little concerned. She asked me what was up and i only had to say a few words before she was rounding up the female crowd. She looked after me. Gave me cigarettes and said if i was by myself i could come and hang out with her and Rach. Situation was swiftly resolved by a gynecologist who "knew what i was going through" which was then a running joke for the rest of the time i was there - thanks guys :P
A little shout out to Claud here for really looking after me this weekend. I owe you a packet of cigarettes and a pint!
It was time for all of us to have a photo in the wind that could blow a pony over and then sit down for tea. Dinner was hilarious because the seating arrangements hadnt quite manageed to be effective whilst 2 people were sitting down, only one. So there was a lot of moving in and out to let people by, which resulted in drunk musical chairs. I met Becky who i was sat next to, who was hilarious and we took a series of pictures to "document the day".
Rosie, Harry and Lawrence did their speeches and i thought i was going to tear up. It was really lovely.
It wasn't that long before the band had turned up and i was battered. Harry B and Harry C were in the band which i was super pysched about as i hadn't seen them for over 2 years and it was so lovely to see them both. The band were great. I took it upon myself to be dancing lady as usual and was never further than 3 seconds away from the front pulling all kinds of shapes, including a dance duet with Lauren and also another one with the Rosie which was very parent trap, love it.
It got to the stage where i was drinking the ginger cocktail out of a wine glass and mine and James's song came on. I started recorded it and went full force into the dance floor and got a group of us jumping up and down shouting. I some how managed to lose my voice as i noticed on the phone after, telling James "i wanted to get married by the sea OK BYE" and then just leaving the phone.
The throwing of the bouquet happened and i was deeply upset that my height affected me catching it... like it affects EVERYTHING. My drunk logic was to get some corn from a table, wrapped up in ribbon and ask Harry C to throw me it whilst Harry B captured the moment, and they didn't disappoint!
I wondered off for some fresh air after eating half a pasty and leaving it somewhere, and walked down to sit outside the b and b. I had a little lie down and then decided it was probably best to go to bed, but not before id eaten another half of a pasty and put that down too - i later found it in my bed.
OH MY GOD i almost forgot about Dolly Parton. Okay so earlier in the day, i met a lady called Lauren who said she would sing and do karaoke absolutely anywhere. Always with a drink in hand. And boy was she telling the truth. She somehow managed to get on the microphone after the band had finished and started a rendition of 9 to 5, music free. But all of us came in the room to watch and join in, and i only knew it was happening because i heard loads of stamping "drum beats" coming from outside.
After that, everyone went into the front room to have a jam, but i could no longer face being vertical and retreated.
Sunday was a full write off for me. I tried to go to the pub and i just couldnt face it, i was set back to the hostel on a point of being to miserable to hang out with everyone and i could just feel my head dipping every so often. I tried to get some wine in me to rectify it but my body had admitted defeat. After looking at the sea for a bit and having some fresh air, i went back for a well deserved nap. I faced the pub again after some cake, for another 2 drinks, only to know that i had to go back where i belonged. Bed.
Monday we all woke up and it was over! Done! My best friends were married and i was on a 2 day hangover. I was looking forward to seeing James but i really didn't want to leave Cornwall. I just wasn't ready yet. Luckily for me, my friends will still live here when they come back from their honeymoon and we are planning another visit already.
We loaded our stuff up and i collected all the wine glasses from my room, including one from the pub that i "didn't want to waste" and we set off to get our train.
Rosie and Harry were on the same train as me for the first hour which was ace, so we packed a breakfast with train wine. It was so, so good to just sit and have a chat with them for an hour about everything and anything. Not forgetting that Harry had managed to smash the bottle of train champagne before we had even made it through the ticket barriers haha! So we sat with train red wine, champagne and croissants,  then some train vodka and coke with a straw. We looked like we should be going to France. I wished more than anything i was hopping on a plane with them to India, but instead i was to face a 5 hour train alone and 3 change overs.
Thankyou for an incredible weekend. I wish you all the happiness and love in the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when you feel like sh*t.

When in Rome

I can't cook #2 - Herby tomato and cheddar pasta bake.