What to do when you feel like sh*t.

Funnily enough, I wasn't able to write this post whilst I was actually feeling like poop.
I was waking up with the classic chest crushing that comes with being depressed. A depressed almost 25 year old who is flunking uni because of it and doesn't know what she's doing. Classic.

Although in this day and age, we don't need to have to have it all together until we're like 35 now right? 25 is the new 17 and I am mostly okay with it.

During this week, I sought out my classic "low comforts" with some surprising new additions.
I figured there was a post in it and maybe it will help someone else.



Smoking
Controversial riiiiiight? For the most part, I am a non smoker but when the black dog is in town it actually really helps. Don't go and do it if you don't, for the love of lungs! But if you do, make yourself a cup of tea, a custard cream and appreciate the nicotine.

Shower
Obvious maybe but obviously lush. Routine is a good thing to try and stick to when you're feeling low even though it's so flipping hard. I like to start off with a shower and work through everything that needs to be done in motion and by the end you feel squeaky clean on the outside and a little less muddy on the inside.

Do something entirely different
James saw code red emergency and bundled me into a train to the seaside with some krispy kremes. That, in real life, isn't all that doable for everyone (myself included, we just got lucky) but if you can catch a train somewhere or go to a completely different cafe, meet up with someone you haven't seen in ages or someone you have only spoken to on the internet before, there is almost no time to register the looming cloud because your brain is trying to process all the new shit. It's a bold tactic but a strong one.

Buy yourself something that makes you smile
You don't have to buy anything, It's just I had happened to have found some heart shaped pink sunglasses that made my heart squeal with joy in a vintage shop in Brighton which would literally be my new home if I was allowed. If you have a happy place, this counts too! Mine is the sea side so you know, 2 seagulls, one stone!

Call in sick
Sorry, not sorry. Depression is a mental illness which ever way you dress it up or down. Just because you aren't spewing out of your mouth doesn't mean you aren't spewing out of your brain and tbh that's totes worse. Give yourself a day, to do whatever you like including nothing at all. You need to look after yourself.

Youtube
I tend to sing a lot when I'm down. It's mostly the only time I feel like singing, so if I don't have Lana Del Rey on, I have Boyzone. It's VERY hard for me to feel sorry for myself* when Boyzone is on.
I also like to watch makeup videos. Even though I can't do anything they teach me, I find it theraputic. Ted talks is also another go to. #knowledge

* Sorry for myself for feeling depressed. Feeling sorry for yourself and depression ain't the same thing yo!


Write lists
 Write down the things you want to start doing and achieving when you're feeling up to it again. I started a list of all the things I want to do in London before summer comes and even thinking about the future in a positive way feels slightly productive which pushes you up a bit. Plus who doesn't love lists.

Remember the cycle
Something I suppose is comforting is if you remember you've been here before. Hundreds of times. And eventually, you will have a spring in your step again and everything wont look so bleak, like it always does, so that's always worth holding on to.


One of my friends who is struggling at the moment said to me he realised, after talking to a friend, that the only thing we have is that we are here. The rest isn't permanent. Happiness isn't permanent just like unhappiness isn't, so being here is all you can really ask for.

I thought that was lush so I've just banged it in here.


So that's what I've been doing in the past 2 weeks that I haven't been getting my shit together. They aren't exactly ground breaking suggestions but sometimes we just need reminders ya know? Coming out of the tunnel now, chooo chooo.


                                                    


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day writing challenge #3 - 10 things that make you happy

Why I stopped Multi Level Marketing